17 January 2010

Work in Progress


Not the baby. The kitchen.

When we first bought the house I have to tell you, MK and Drew really had to convince me that it was fabulous. I could not get past the huge cracks in the wall ( that of course we have fixed.... but, wait, did I mention they are back?) Of course our realtor knew that we were looking for a house with hardwood floors and great bathroom tile. And of course this house had it all. Another thing the house had, that I unexpectedly liked, was its kitchen sink. Dr. liked the butcher block counter tops but my eyes went straight to the sink. It's not a sink you see everyday. It seems as though it is probably original to the house. I don't want to get a new sink because this one just has so much character. And.... if someone is willing to buy it from me, that makes it even more valuable to me :)

You can tell it has seen a lot. It is about time to get a total face lift.

The sink is a double sink with double drain boards. I love how enormous it is. Makes for a quick clean up.

Unfortunately, all the enamel ( i don't know what it is called but that's what I am calling it) is peeling away. In fact, it looks like someone tried to cheaply repaint it with something to make it look better. They failed miserably.

Wow, how dirty is that sink! Unfortunately, that's as clean as you can get the sucker.

Oh, I have yet to mention the bathroom faucets someone so kindly added to the sink at some point in the sinks life. I wold love to meet the person that picked out this faucet and ask them what the H#$$ they were thinking.


So now that you have had a few moments to become acquainted with our kitchen sink, I will tell you why I am posting this! We are handing our sink over to the refinisher guys ( that is what they prefer to be called I am sure) Tuesday morning. Usually they do the refinishing in your house. They just put up plastic everywhere, open up windows, and Bingo! you have a new sink, bathroom, whatever.

With our sink, the guys will come and pick it up. Why you ask?
1. Because I am preggo and supposedly the chemicals are strong and stay in your house for a bit. Chuck is going to be so intelligent anyway that I don't want those chemicals to make his brain cells become any smarter than they already are.
2. Some idiot put the bathroom faucets on the sink and then put the sink into the counter top. However, they had put a random support under the sink that blocks any type of wrench or other kind of tool from getting near the faucets to loosen them. In other words, you have to actually lift the sink out of the counter to put a new faucet on. Speaking of new faucet.......

Classy, I know

So, we will be without a sink for 4 days. I think we can handle it considering we did not have water for a week and could not do any dishes.

Is it going to mess with my OCD? Of course.... I mean they are taking my sink out of the counter..... What if the counter falls in?, What if the counter breaks?, What is the SINK breaks?, What if the ugly faucets refuse to let go of my sink?, What if the sink doesn't fit back into the hole in the counter?, What if the counter just completely falls apart?

That's exactly why I have scheduled them to come and get it while I am at school and bring it back while I am at school. I do not need to be here while this is going. Although, yes I will be thinking about it ( and already have been ) non-stop.

No comments: